The General Manager is responsible for managing the daily operations of our restaurant, including the selection, development and performance management of employees. In addition, they oversee the inventory and ordering of food and supplies, optimize profits and ensure that guests are satisfied with their dining experience. The General Manager reports to El Patron owners.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Supervise and manage all areas of the restaurant and make final decisions on matters of importance to guest service.
- Adhere to company standards and service levels to increase sales and minimize costs, including food, beverage, supply, utility and labor costs.
- Responsible for ensuring that all financial (invoices, reporting) and personnel/payroll related administrative duties are completed accurately, on time and in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Enforce sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen and dining areas. Ensure compliance with operational standards, company policies, federal/state/local laws, and ordinances.
- Responsible for ensuring consistent high quality of food preparation and service.
- Maintain professional restaurant image, including restaurant cleanliness, proper uniforms, and appearance standards.
- Estimate food and beverage costs. Work with owners for efficient provisioning and purchasing of supplies. Supervise portion control and quantities of preparation to minimize waste. Organize promotions.
- Estimate food needs, place orders with distributors, and schedule the delivery of fresh food and supplies.
- Must be ServSafe certified and uphold all ServSafe guidelines.
- Ensure positive guest service in all areas. Respond to complaints, taking any and all appropriate actions to turn dissatisfied guests into return guests.
- Ensure that proper security procedures are in place to protect employees, guests and company assets.
- Ensure a safe working and guest environment to reduce the risk of injury and accidents. Complete accident reports promptly in the event that a guest or employee is injured.
- Manage shifts which include: daily decision making, scheduling, planning while upholding standards, product quality and cleanliness.
- Investigate and resolve complaints concerning food quality and service.
- Provide direction to employees regarding operational and procedural issues.
- Interview hourly employees. Direct hiring, supervision, development and, when necessary, termination of employees.
- Conduct orientation, explain El Patron Philosophy, and oversee the training of new employees.
- Develop employees by providing ongoing feedback, establishing performance expectations and by conducting performance reviews.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date plan of restaurant staffing needs. Prepare schedules and ensure that the restaurant is staffed for all shifts.
- Provide strong presence in local community and high level of community involvement by restaurant and personnel.
- College degree is preferred. Bachelor of Science degree in hotel/restaurant management is desirable. A combination of practical experience and education will be considered as an alternative.
- Knowledge of computers (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and technology.
- Proficient in the following dimensions of restaurant functions: food planning and preparation, purchasing, sanitation, security, company policies and procedures, personnel management, recordkeeping, and preparation of reports.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Must agree to background and credit check.
- Hours may vary if the manager must fill in for his/her employees or if emergencies arise (typical work week = 50 hours).
- Ability to perform all functions at the restaurant.
- Position requires prolonged standing, bending, stooping, twisting, and lifting products and supplies weighing 45 pounds, and repetitive hand and wrist motion.
- Work with hot, cold, and hazardous equipment as well as, operation of phones, computers, fax machines, copiers, and other office equipment.