Summary of Position:
Your role as a Cook at EL PATRON RESTAURANTE MEXICANO is extremely important to our success. You will be trained on how to perform your job. Your speed and efficiency are imperative to the smooth operation of the kitchen. You need speed to successfully complete your tasks. Your efficiency and consistency will help assure 100% guest satisfaction. You will be provided with high quality products and the necessary tools and equipments to complete your daily duties.
Also, you must provide our guests with quality meals that have them coming back for more and maintain a positive attitude and always strive to meet our high expectations. Be a team player and make us PROUD!
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Always arrive at least 5 minutes before your scheduled time.
- Always come to work with a clean uniform.
- Check your duties for the day by reviewing prep list, cooler, pull list, etc.
- Get organized and plan your day before beginning your work.
- Sanitize and clean your work area. Clean as you go - maintain a clean station and work area THROUGH OUT THE DAY. Clean all equipments and workstations immediately after use. Maintain a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, sautéed burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Maintain your daily and weekly sanitation and maintenance schedules.
- Maintain a safe, clean and organized workstation and walk way in the prep areas.
- Follow the recipes - ensure the quality and consistency of every batch recipe that goes from our prep kitchen to the proper workstation on the line. Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Be a team player - support and assist your fellow team members whenever possible.
- Ensure that all dicers, slicers, scales, refrigeration and cooking equipment are operating correctly and at the proper temperature. Record temperatures on log.
- Report any broken or malfunctioning equipment to the kitchen manager or manager-on-duty.
- ALWAYS follow safe food handling practices.
- Never store raw poultry, meat or fish products above cooked or ready-to-eat products.
- Use our product labeling system to label, date, rotate and store all food products.
- Prepare only what is on the Daily Prep List.
- Do not work more than scheduled hours unless directed by manager-on-duty or if you haven’t finished your assignment for the day. Always communicate with the manager if you consider you won’t be able to finish on time.
- Prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Assume 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
- Stock and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Handle stores and rotate all products properly. (FIFO rule)
- Assist in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Close the kitchen properly and follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assist others in closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and bring suggestions for improvement.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or manager-on-duty.
- Always check with Manager prior to checking out.
- Assist your team members by organizing delivery orders when they arrive. Always remember the FIFO (first in first out) rule.
- Must be able to read, speak, write, and understand the primary language of the work location.
- Must be able to perform simple math calculations and follow directions for equipment and recipe production.
- Must be able to speak and listen to staff and managers for cooking instructions.
- Must be able to maintain a neat and organized work area.
- Must work quickly and efficiently so that our speed of service objectives are met while preparing food that meets our high standards of quality and plate presentation.
- Must be able to think quickly on his/her feet with multiple activities going on at once. A good Prep/Line Cook doesn't get flustered easily and even enjoys the challenge of an extra busy shift.
- Must be able to work in a standing position and have the ability to stand and walk for the duration of a scheduled shift.
- Must be able to safely lift and easily maneuver trays of food frequently weighing up to 45 pounds. Must have the ability to lift, stoop, and bend.
- Must exhibit hand coordination and dexterity for rapid productions.
- Must focus on quality and have pride in work.
- Must be “Always” a Team player.